Dark Internet

A lot of people say negatives against the internet and start going on about how the internet has ruined this generation. However the one thing I've gotten from the internet is knowledge, lots of it, good knowledge "bad knowledge" anyway no knowledge is useless. I've learnt a lot in the past year than the rest of my life combined. It has really opened my eyes to see  a lot of things in a whole new light. It has given me views and corrected my notion about a lot of things. It's given me the opportunity to be able to follow and see the lives and learn from a number of amazing people. Even though i'm always in the shadows and  haven't warmed up to the idea of being open yt, I'm happy there are a lot of people constantly saying the things i'm too afraid to say on social media and reinforcing the words,thought,fears and ideas  I was made to believe were not valid.
What I'm most grateful for is the fact that it has raised my black consciousness. It has helped me embrace myself by seeing people embrace and rejoice in their blackness. Usually, i'll get really worried when people start telling me that i'm getting darker or that I'm dark. It made me really self conscious and I was constantly looking for ways to maintain a lighter look without lightening my skin  because of course I believed that my current skin-tone wasn't my last 'bus-stop' due to the fact that my older siblings are shades lighter than I am.
Despite the fact that the internet is filled with a lot of people projecting their insecurities onto others and also heightening insecurities in others when they see things they think they cannot have or achieve, but this same internet is where I found salvation  (Alleluia church!!!!). There I saw pages of numerous people, some darker than I am celebrating, embracing themselves in their entirety. Photos of girls that look like me being appreciated, it struck a chord in me. It changed the way I saw myself,
Now when people come with their comments of '' you are dark'' and the likes, it doesn't bother me at all because I know that there are girls beautiful girls everywhere that look like me and are comfortable in their skin, the posts and representation of these beautiful women on the internet has helped me consciously and unconsciously accept myself and be confident in who I am ' AN AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL BLACK GIRL'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POETRY: In Pursuit of Happiness

Feminism Isn't A Cult

POETRY: In Hiding