Colourful

I wrote this piece during a period when I was not loving me, when I didn't feel beautiful. Then   I looked at my body and the words began to flow.

Loving myself
My body, my stretchmarks
My hair, my broad nose, my thick mass of hair
Full enchanting lips
I love the way I speak
I'm accepting all of me

My body is without flaw, everything is perfect
Scars make me beautiful, gives me my identity
I am who I am
I live I love I laugh in this body
I rejoice I live I cry but I tread on 
Everything beautiful is who I am

I embrace my state of being
I look in the mirror and see heaven
Magnificent being
Made from the darkest of coals
Sweetest of honey
I reflect sweetness and fierceness

With this body I am changing the narratives
I am redefining the word "BLACK"
I am moving it to a state of divinity
The state of being heavenly, extraterrestrial
I am beyond acceptance, I am in love with this body 
THIS BLACK WOMAN


Photo: Lyra Aoko - Rosemary


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POETRY: In Pursuit of Happiness

Feminism Isn't A Cult

POETRY: In Hiding