The Sister Circle

Image result for BLACK WOMEN CIRCLE
She had the strength of her ancestors
Force field of those who have come before
Brave, powerful women who broke glass ceilings for me to be here

Gone above and beyond what was expected
Proven that our bodies belong to us
Refused to be pegged down

They stand here with me, leading me through open doors
Their words and actions reverberating my marrows
Filling my blood with endorphins

My mothers are here
They circle me, the bond unbroken
Hearkening to their voices, channeling this rage
This pain, the bruises and scraped knees from begging
Slumped shoulders from the weight of patriarchy

It is time to rise to use this pain to fight
Fighting for all that I will be
For me and those to come

The strength of my mothers who fought 
for I will wage war
So that my sisters coming do not have to

I will scream,
Blood and bodies may lay
To cleanse tomorrow
The freedom of the personhood of my sisters

My mother’s voices fill me
For those who could not fight
I stand, I speak
I give my all so that they may speak
This voice, this spirit, this rage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POETRY: In Pursuit of Happiness

Feminism Isn't A Cult

POETRY: In Hiding